Monday 22 July 2013

Short Film Ideas: 2

Superhero movies are something I've always loved. Since the first "Spider-Man" movie to the more recent nontraditional comedy "Kick-ass", I've always adored and been fascinated by these type of films. Even the more realistic "Hancock" was something I loved.
So why not make a short film about it? I'm experienced in Adobe After Effects enough to edit in VFX, including explosions and gunshots. I can even make it look like somebody is flying and make the ground shatter beneath someones feet. I've sat through hours of tutorials on YouTube  and VideoCopilot to give me the ability to enable a person to have superhuman powers within the realm of film. Though it may take bajillions hours to render... It's entirely possible in the technological aspect. I have access to lots of filming equipment and have a green-screen to utilise if needs be. 

To follow the typical superhero story or to do something less mainstream? That is the question. Though the typical stories that have been told to us over and over again by Marvel and DC comics are great and extremely popular, it all seems a bit over used and would be easily washed over and predictable. For a newer film to be great I believe it should grip the audience and hold their attention by not allowing them to foresee what is to come... Unless it's done in a totally awesome way, like foreshadowing. Not by making them essentially re-watch the same stuff that's regurgitated to them by Hollywood. Ew. 

The restricted length of this project is something I should consider. To tell the story of how one person gets bitten by a radioactive jellyfish, gains the ability to electrify any wrong doers, gets the girl of his dreams to notice him while also fighting the darkness inside himself which was the real enemy all along within the space of about 4 minutes is a hard thing to do. So what can I do? I guess I could create an origin story. The story of how one hero is created and how they grow and develop into a person capable of saving thousands of lives. Although, that is kinda what "Smallville" is... And
it's taken them 11 seasons to show how a baby from space becomes superman. But I could take it from the superhero's point of view as they tell a story, reviewing key chapters of their life, similar to how I planned out 1 idea in my previous post.
An almost serious mockumentary isn't out of the question. I could do it in a style similar to the Japanese film "Big Man Japan". Haven't heard of it? That's because it's not mainstream and totally hipster (I'm clearly a film aficionado). The style of it is essentially a documentary that follows a super hero and reviews points in their and their families lives as well as interviewing them and showing events as they unfold. It's pretty swell. Though I'm not completely comfortable with creating the documentary feeling in film yet, I'm sure it's something I could grasp. 

Or I could abandon the idea of a superhero and simply show the life of someone who has powers. They don't particularly use them to save people, they just come in handy in everyday situations. It could be fun. Although, I do feel like I'd be obliged to have a build up to some event in which they had to save someone. It could be called "Sometimes I'm a Hero". Though I'd totally have to make that title have a double meaning and have the "hero part" come in totally unexpected. Sounds thrilling. I like it. Just as Tom, our unlikely yet completely capable hero is walking out of maths class when... BOOM! The school is under attack by a terrifying 300ft tall landshark! I... I actually really like that idea... Oh no.

 
 -BW

No comments:

Post a Comment